Principal Traffic Engineer at New Zealand Transport Agency, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Put strategy into action
- Apply your transport network design expertise to an operational environment
- Work in a unique fast paced environment where every day could bring a new and exciting challenge
- Salary: $127,000 to $142,000
- Based in North Shore, Auckland
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
The opportunity sits in the Optimisation Delivery Team of Auckland Transport Operation Centre (ATOC) which is the joint venture of Waka Kotahi and Auckland Transport. Staff from both agencies work together at ATOC to make sure the transport network operates safely and efficiently 24/7. The Optimisation Delivery Team is a group of engineers at ATOC that are involved in various aspects of network design and optimisation. The core function of the team requires a focus on signalised corridors with a perspective of the wider network operation across all grades and modes.
We are looking for someone who could bring their Transport Planning competence to the operational environment such as ATOC and put us in a position where we are better prepared for managing planned and unplanned events. On a high level, for its most part, the role will be living in the future, anticipating changes, developing, assessing, and co-ordinating engineering plans. The role will recognise and help create understanding of the need for land-use change due to significant planned or unplanned events and will help put operational transport plans around the change.
You will be working alongside other principal engineers who are more focussed around traffic signals optimisation and providing oversight to real-time operations. This means that you will have the opportunity to learn and practice those skills as well, if keen.
This is a relatively new role at ATOC, so you will also have the ability to craft your job to some degree. What you do and how you perform will have significant impact on the transport network outcomes for our customers and feeds directly into creating a safe and health transport system
To top it all up, this is a technical leadership role and has no direct reports. You will be a key part of the Optimisation Delivery Leadership Team and the highly engaged wider ATOC leadership team. The role therefore offers very exciting personal and professional growth opportunities.
Ko koe tēnei | About you
You are a strong technical leader with proven transport planning skills. You love to work with people to influence and deliver solutions that have significant impact on network operation.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- 10+ Years of experience in different disciplines of Land Transport Engineering
- Demonstrable expertise in using traffic engineering applications and software
- Strong engineering sense and a simple approach in solving complex technical problems
- Experience in developing a technical team within the transport sector is desirable
- Excellent understanding of the legislative environment regarding traffic operations
- An understanding and appreciation of the workings and functions of local government, including current and future business drivers and statutory requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively collaborate with others
- Strong achievement/delivery focus - sets high standards including accuracy and attention to detail, meets deadlines etc.
- Ability to mentor and coach others to develop skills
- A relevant tertiary qualification (BE, NZCE) with relevant post graduate studies
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) and professional membership/s of Professional Engineers Association/s would be advantageous
You will demonstrate knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an understanding of Te Ao Māori and promote tikanga and Te Reo Māori. You will also have knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an appreciation of te Tiriti o Waitangi (the Treaty of Waitangi) as it applies in the public sector.
Ko wai mātou | About us
The Transport Services Group plans, designs, builds, operates and maintains an integrated transport system. The Transport Operations Centre teams keep the transport system operational and optimised to meet the needs of all New Zealanders.
Auckland Transport Operations Centre (ATOC) is all about enabling customers in real time to make smarter, safer and more reliable journeys. In the world of traffic engineering this means improving customer journeys though pro-active and evidence-based network optimisation, supporting safer and efficient network design, and mitigating the impacts of planned and unplanned events on the network. This role will support a unique business operating as a joint venture between the Auckland Transport and Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency.
Included in our benefits, we also offer 5 weeks annual leave, an extra 'My Day' to take whenever you like, and a new Waka Kotahi Life, Income Protection and Critical Illness Insurance scheme available for permanent employees.
To view the Position Description, please click here
For further information, email: email@example.com
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Please note that we may begin shortlisting as we receive applications. We encourage early applications as we may withdraw the advertising at any time.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||New Zealand Transport Agency|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Transport & Logistics|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.