Prosecutor 1 at NZ Police, Manawatu - Wanganui
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
New Zealand Police is working with the community to make New Zealanders be safe and feel safe. With over 13,000 staff, we provide policing services 24 hours a day, every day. We operate by land, sea and air, manage over 860,000 emergency calls a year and are always actively preventing crime and crashes.
We’re working towards specific goals and targets that highlight our intent to work collaboratively with iwi and communities, other government sectors and business partners to deliver ‘Our Business’ and achieve long-term change.
Prosecutor 1, it starts with you!
- Based at Levin Police Station
- PROS 1 Salary $84,312
- 12-month fixed term contract
- Full time
- Office of Constable/Police Employee
- JR 4310581
About the role
NZ Police are offering an exciting opportunity to join the Police Prosecution Service (PPS) as a Prosecutor in Levin within their Central South PPS team.
With PPS you will gain a sound knowledge of prosecution processes including advocacy, knowledge of the Law and court practices. You will be part of a diverse group of Constabulary prosecutors, Police Employee lawyers, and support and managerial staff. Dependent on your level of experience and knowledge at entry you will be involved in various out-of-court case management processes, such as file analysis, writing submissions, and liaising with police investigators and defence counsel.
In addition, you will be involved with courtroom advocacy, ranging from first appearance courts through to Judge alone Trials and sentencings hearings.
Your knowledge and understanding of key New Zealand statutes and legislation, combined with your desire and motivation to present well-constructed and compelling prosecution cases, will enable you to undertake a vital role in the Criminal Justice Sector and in the operationalisation of New Zealand Police's strategy.
- Communication – Having the skills to effectively communicate with our people, partners and community.
- Decision Making – Having the critical thinking and problem solving skills to make sound decisions and responses under pressure in a face to face setting
- Law and Policy – Having a sound understanding of prosecution and court processes, and the ability to analyse complex information accurately.
- Individually Responsible and Accountable – Being accountable for your performance and taking responsibility for your contribution and development.
- Clear – Show an understanding of a Prosecutor’s purpose within Police and the outcomes we are striving to deliver.
- Enabling through self-leadership – Ability to seek opportunities to develop your own skills, knowledge and experience
- The successful applicant will be required to undergo a full reference and security check prior to any offer of employment being made
- If you are a Police Employee applicant, you must have an LLB degree and have the ability to get a practicing certificate and provide copy of qualification eligibility.
- If you are a Constabulary applicant, you must have a current Sergeants CPK and have applied to enter the Sergeants Career Progression Framework, or be a substantive Sergeant, or be fully qualified under a previous promotion scheme. You will also hold currency in PITT, PCT and First Aid certificates.
What you’ll bring
Being part of the Police whānau is about being our best to ensure our communities are safe and feel safe. Our Core Competencies provide a shared understanding of the behaviours, leadership and technical competence required for success at each level of Police. Whilst we are looking for skills, knowledge and experience relevant to the role, we also place high importance on your state of mind, the alignment of your values with ours, your ability to contribute to and build high performing teams, and the way that you lead yourself or others.
If you are an internal applicant, you must apply internally through the police system. You must provide an alternative contact email address.
This role is set at Individual Contributor level, this means your key purpose is “to deliver (or enable others to deliver) Our Business”.
We will ask you questions based on “How we will deliver Our Business – Core Competencies” and the appropriate role level.
For more information on Our Core Competencies, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/core-competencies-how-we-will-deliver-our-business.pdf
These questions will be unique and specific to the role, focusing on the aspects the hiring manager believes are most important for that position at the time.
For more information on Our Values, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/nzp-our-values.pdf
To view the position description for this role please copy and paste this link into a new browser:
Our mission is to prevent crime and harm through exceptional policing. Our vision is to be the safest country. Our purpose is to ensure everybody can be safe and feel safe.
Your wellbeing inside and outside of work is important to us. We’re open to discussing flexible working options that work for both you and the business.
For more information on the above, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
How to apply
Please note: Applications submitted directly through the Government Jobs Website are no longer considered. Please visit our Police Careers page: https://career10.successfactors.com/career?company=nzpolice to apply for this position.
If this position sounds like you, click apply now. You will be required to submit an application form and a CV. Before confirmation of hire, pre-employment checks will be undertaken.
For further information on the application process, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact your Senior Talent Pathway Advisor at Aric.Naidoo@police.govt.nz.
Applications will close 5pm, on Thursday 6th October 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Location:||Manawatu - Wanganui|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Category:||Police & emergency services|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.