Residential Night Attendant - Te Wharau at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Canterbury
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Residential Night Attendant permanent opportunity based in St Albans, Christchurch
Are you passionate in making a real and positive difference to New Zealand's tamariki and rangatahi? We currently have a permanent opportunity for Residential Night Attendant to join our team. If you want to be part of a team that is committed to working with young people to help them realise their absolute potential, then we would love to hear from you.
This is not a 9 to 5 job, our rangatahi require wrap around support from us which is why our Residential Night Attendants do rostered night shifts as we provide 24-hour, 7-days per week care (including weekends and public holidays).
The hours of work are 10pm - 6.30am with varying days each week. This is a Night Awake position and penals rate do apply.
About the role | Mō te tūnga
The purpose is to support rangatahi in making good life choices, strengthening whānau relationships, and ensuring routines and processes for strengthening positive behaviour are in place and maintained. The rangatahi who we care for require a safe nurturing environment where we can work together to help them make positive change at what is often a critical point in their lives. Their needs can be complex, and so are the journeys that brought them here.
As a Residential Night Attendant, you will be part of a team that is responsible for providing safe care for young people, security of property during the night and general administrative and household activities.
What you will bring | Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu
To be successful in this role, you will need to:
- Meet the safety checking and Ministry vetting requirements (police check etc.)
- Have a full clean New Zealand drivers' licence
- Have a belief and commitment to ensuring that the paramount element of importance in your work is the safety of and outcomes for tamariki and rangatahi
- Be a strong team player and positive role model
- Demonstrate initiative and sound judgement, with an ability to 'think on your feet'
- Have experience developing rapport with rangatahi
- Be self-directed in work practices
- Effective time management
- Strong communication skills (you will need to write succinct, factual and audience appropriate reports)
- Experience in care work as an employee or volunteer or have relevant life skills
- An understanding of interventions and treatment approaches to effect positive behavioural change
- An ability to deliver structured programmes
- An interest in sports and fitness, tikanga Maori or music/arts
Who are we?
Our tamariki and rangatahi deserve to feel safe, have their voices heard, and be surrounded by loving whānau. At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, we're on a journey to ensure that it happens. We are a leading social work practice that is child-centred, trauma-informed, and effective for all cultures. We are a Ministry with a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of everything we do and say.
Annual remuneration for this position starts between $44,792 and $49,769 plus penal rates dependant on experience. We offer a vibrant, supportive team and a genuine commitment to wellbeing. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
How to apply?
Apply online with your CV and Cover Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already please ensure you register or login using your work email address. For reporting and transparency, it is important that all applications are submitted through our careers site, please do not email through applications and/or CVs.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Applications close 9th October 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Social, welfare & community|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Residential Night Attendant - Position Description.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.