Principal Advisor - Regulatory Strategy at The Treasury, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Principal Advisor to lead on cross-cutting regulatory issues
- Be part of the Treasury's Economic Strategy Directorate, at the heart of government decision-making
- Lead thinking and provision of advice on strategically important issues which are common across multiple regulatory systems, in close collaboration with other agencies
- Work with the Regulatory Stewardship Chief Executives group, which supports the Secretary to the Treasury in her capacity as Regulatory Stewardship functional lead
Mō mātou | About Us
Here at Te Tai Ōhanga - The Treasury we are committed to Tiakitanga (our role of stewardship) to make Aotearoa a better place for people today and in the future. We safeguard New Zealand's finances and are the Government's trusted economic advisor. Our vision is to lift living standards for all New Zealanders.
Kōrero mō te tūranga | About the Role
The Regulatory Strategy Team has an ambitious and varied work programme, with strategy, policy and operational responsibilities. As part of the Economic Strategy Directorate, we lead thinking on how the government can use its regulatory lever to lift living standards. We also have two major cross-system leadership roles:
- Leading thinking on Regulatory Stewardship (which is the governance, monitoring and ongoing care of regulatory systems) in order to improve regulatory performance and reduce failures, and;
- Overseeing and running the Regulatory Impact Analysis (RIA) system, which aims to lift the quality of regulatory reform or new regulation so that it achieves its desired outcomes.
We are looking for a Principal Advisor to help shape the regulatory strategy agenda. In particular, the role will include:
- Leading the development of advice on the scale and nature of risks in regulatory systems across the public sector, and opportunities for better management of priority risks
- Shaping and driving the Regulatory Stewardship Chief Executives systemic issues workstream, to address cross-cutting issues in regulatory systems
- Contributing to work on the role of regulation in lifting economic performance and wellbeing
- Supporting the work of your colleagues, including ensuring it is analytically robust and high quality
Ō pūmanawa | About You
We are seeking a candidate who ideally has at least ten years' experience working in public policy or regulatory roles. You will have a proven ability to lead work programmes and influence outcomes. In particular, you will bring:
- Strong intellectual leadership skills, and the ability to apply these in a cross-agency environment
- Comfort working at pace (when required) and dealing with ambiguity
- A highly collaborative approach to your work
- The ability to coach and support junior staff
- Great communication skills and EQ
- The ability to motivate and influence others
- A strong delivery focus
Ko ngā hua | What we Offer
- Interesting and challenging work, surrounded by talented and passionate team members
- An environment where excellence is recognised, and staff are encouraged to develop their own talents and potential
- A workplace that values diversity and inclusion and recognises the value of your lived experiences
- Flexible work arrangements and encouragement to enjoy a positive work/life balance with and a range of health and wellbeing initiatives
- 5 weeks annual leave for permanent full-time employees (pro-rated for part-time employees)
The indicative appointing range for this role is $160,000 to $220,000 per annum, subject to skills, experience and internal relativities.
Tono mai ināianei | Apply Now
Please see the attached Job Description for further detail, or for more information and a korero please contact Erin King and Pip van der Scheer at Erin&Pip@treasury.govt.nz (joint Managers of the Regulatory Strategy Team).
Rā kati | Applications close: Monday 5 December 2022. All applications must be made online. We will be reviewing applications as they are received and may progress with suitable applicants prior to the application closing date.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.