Team Leader - Portfolio Delivery at NZ Police, Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
New Zealand Police is working with the community to make New Zealanders be safe and feel safe. With over 13,000 staff, we provide policing services 24 hours a day, every day. We operate by land, sea and air, manage over 860,000 emergency calls a year and are always actively preventing crime and crashes.
We’re working towards specific goals and targets that highlight our intent to work collaboratively with iwi and communities, other government sectors and business partners to deliver ‘Our Business’ and achieve long-term change.
National Road Policing Centre, Team Leader: Portfolio Delivery - it starts with you!
- Based at Police National Headquarters, Wellington
- Salary starting from $102,178
- Police Employee
- Permanent, full time
- Nationally Advertised Vacancy
- JR 4426804
About the role
The National Road Policing Centre’s (NRPC) Portfolio Management Office (PMO) is looking for a permanent team leader for its hub of project managers.
The PMO delivers its Portfolio throughout the lifecycle of the Road Safety Partnership Programme, with a wide range of programmes and projects that focus on ensuring that the frontline has the best equipment to support its delivery of the road safety outcomes under both the Road Safety Partnership Programme and the government’s Road to Zero strategy.
Reporting to the Manager: Portfolio & Programmes, the PMO sits within the Portfolios & Programmes group working closely with its second arm, the Innovation Hub. This team seeks to support the construction of the PMO Portfolio by testing and trialing concepts that may support road safety.
Based in Wellington to enable you lead the team hands-on and support the Manager: Portfolio & Programmes, your focus will be on several key areas:
- Mentoring, training, and leading your team of project managers
- On the ground delivery of the Portfolio ensuring programmes and projects are delivered on time and to budget, accompanied by high quality artefacts including stakeholder engagement plans, training packages, and benefit realisation plans
- Developing and maintaining robust ‘start to finish’ project processes to ensure quality delivery mechanisms and interagency assurance
- Continuous improvement of PMO processes
- Stakeholder engagement across the NRPC and within Police to drive collaborative delivery of the Portfolio
While individual project managers retain full responsibility for their projects and programmes, you may be called upon to provide practical programme or project management skills, depending on the size and/or complexity of the portfolio and available resources.
The Team Leader also works collaboratively alongside other managers within the NRPC, drawing on a range of resources to support successful delivery. This is a crucial part of the role as resources required to deliver the Portfolio are spread across the NPRC. Collaboration is key!
What you’ll bring
Being part of the Police whānau is about being our best to ensure our communities are safe and feel safe. Our Core Competencies provide a shared understanding of the behaviours, leadership and technical competence required for success at each level of Police. Whilst we are looking for skills, knowledge and experience relevant to the role, we also place high importance on your state of mind, the alignment of your values with ours, your ability to contribute to and build high performing teams, and the way that you lead yourself or others.
To support the delivery of road safety outcomes you will:
- Have a passionate and patient enthusiasm for coaching and mentoring
- Demonstrate a drive for continuous improvement
- Be skilled in building and maintaining strong collaborative relationships within Police and with external agencies
- Have strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to adapt your communication style to all levels of the organisation and have challenging conversations when necessary
- Have a track record in project delivery
- Sound understanding of project financial processes
- Be an organised self-starter with a proven record of delivery in environments with completing priorities
- Candidates must be based in Wellington or be prepared to relocate.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in project and/or programme delivery, preferably at the senior level
- A formal project management qualification e.g. BBCTM or PRINCE2TM or Managing BenefitsTM would be an advantage
- Previous experience of leading teams
- Knowledge of Sentient is beneficial but not mandatory
If you are an internal applicant, you must apply internally through the police system. You must provide an alternative contact email address.
This role is set at Team Leader/Manager level, this means your key purpose is “to lead the activities for Our Business and enable people to deliver them.”
We will ask you questions based on “How we will deliver Our Business – Core Competencies” and the appropriate role level, i.e. Individual Contributor. For more information on Our Core Competencies, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/core-competencies-how-we-will-deliver-our-business.pdf
These questions will be unique and specific to the role, focusing on the aspects the hiring manager believes are most important for that position at the time. For more information on Our Values, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/nzp-our-values.pdf
To view the position description for this role please copy and paste this link into a new browser:
Our mission is to prevent crime and harm through exceptional policing. Our vision is to be the safest country. Our purpose is to ensure everybody can be safe and feel safe.
It is desired, but not essential, that you have registered interest via the link or enrolment in the CEP leadership programme.
Your wellbeing inside and outside of work is important to us. We’re open to discussing flexible working options that work for both you and the business.
For more information on the above, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
How to apply
Please note: Applications submitted directly through the Government Jobs Website are no longer considered. Please visit our Police Careers page: https://career10.successfactors.com/career?company=nzpolice to apply for this position.
If this position sounds like you, click apply now. You will be required to submit an application form and a CV. Before confirmation of hire, pre-employment checks will be undertaken.
For further information on the application process, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5pm Tuesday, 29th November 2022
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Location:||Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Police & emergency services|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.