Senior Strategic Communications Advisor at NZ Police, Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
New Zealand Police is working with the community to make New Zealanders be safe and feel safe. With over 13,000 staff, we provide policing services 24 hours a day, every day. We operate by land, sea and air, manage over 860,000 emergency calls a year and are always actively preventing crime and crashes.
We’re working towards specific goals and targets that highlight our intent to work collaboratively with iwi and communities, other government sectors and business partners to deliver ‘Our Business’ and achieve long-term change.
Senior Strategic Communications Advisor
Location: PNHQ Wellington
Band J: $102,178 - $123,297
Permanent, full time
Reporting to: Manager Communications
Job Requisition ID 4435197
Highly skilled in the delivery of internal and external communications frameworks.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
The purpose of Arms Safety and Control business unit is to enable New Zealand to be a world leader in arms safety through an effective regulatory and administrative approach to the Arms Act and Arms Regulations.
Established to lead, operate, and develop investment in modernisation of the firearms system which will result in a more efficient and effective risk-based licensing system, introduction of comprehensive performance indicators, and shall improve public confidence in the firearms licensing system. The modernisation of the Arms Regulatory System will take every opportunity to prevent harm through transparent, high quality, consistent, legislatively correct, and effective regulatory activities, administration, education, and promotion of compliance with the provisions of the Arms Act and Arms Regulations. The Regulator will earn trust and confidence by working together in partnership with other policing groups, iwi, the firearms community, wider New Zealand public and other agencies and organisations to achieve collective impact.
To support the delivery of these outcomes, the position of Senior Strategic Communications Advisor has been created to deliver proactive and effective strategic communications advice.
Supporting the Manager of Communications, the Executive Director and wider leadership team, you will be responsible for identifying, managing, and providing advice on strategic issues of significant opportunity and of reputational risk for the Arms, Safety and Control business unit.
You will already possess a sound understanding of the statutory frameworks, and the political, social, and economic settings in which the organisation operates.
Takohanga Matua | Key Accountabilities:
- Develop and implement the Communications Strategy that support and enable our Regulatory Strategy.
- Develop and manage a capability to analyse, measure and evaluate performance and outcomes of communications activity.
- Support each directorate, to ensure effective engagement strategies are in place to further the objectives of the Regulator.
- Ensure the profile of the management team is represented in a way that maintains and enhances public and Police staff trust and confidence.
- Demonstrate a strong ‘risk radar’ and ability to monitor and interpret the public ‘mood’ to provide advice and escalate appropriate issues in a timely way.
- Provide senior management with timely direction and frank advice in respect of communications issues.
- Support the development of high-quality briefing materials for key government and senior internal stakeholder audiences.
- Work in collaboration with the Media & Communications team to deliver seamless and integrated communications support to the unit.
- Demonstrate genuine understanding of issues impacting stakeholders to enable positive solutions.
- Demonstrate commitment to the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi, Māori and other communities and cultures.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A qualification in public policy, public management or related field is desirable however extensive experience may offset this requirement
- Applicants need to be New Zealand Permanent Residents
- A standard vetting check is required.
Experience is to include:
- Extensive experience engaging with partners and stakeholders
- Ability to proactively apply creative , innovative diverse thinking
- Sound understanding of the statutory framework and the political, social, and economic settings in which the organisation operates, including the machinery of government and policy making process
- A sound understanding of the media environment and issues of public interest
We will ask you questions based on “How we will deliver Our Business – Core Competencies” and the appropriate role level.
For more information on Our Core Competencies, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/core-competencies-how-we-will-deliver-our-business.pdf
For further information on the application process and vetting and clearances required please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers/how-apply-vacancy
To view the position description for this role, please copy and paste this link in to your Google Chrome browser: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/pd/11-2022/senior_strategic_communications_advisor.pdf
Pāwhiria i konei kia tonoa te tūnga | If this position sounds like you, click apply now. You will be required to submit an application form and a CV
Mēnā he pātai āu mō te tūnga, ka pai tō whakapā atu ki te tīma National Recruitment mā te email@example.com
If you have any questions about this vacancy, the National Recruitment team can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
Ka katia ngā tono ā te - Applications close Wednesday 07th December 2022 5pm
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Location:||Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Police & emergency services|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.