Principal Advisor – Public Finance Policy Team at The Treasury, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Principal Advisor - Public Finance Policy Team
Do you want to improve the financial management of the public sector? We are seeking a top-level recruit to join the team responsible for key issues in public-sector financial management.
Mō mātou | About Us
At Te Tai Ōhanga - The Treasury we are committed to Tiakitanga (stewardship) to make Aotearoa a better place for people today and in the future. We safeguard New Zealand's finances and are the Government's trusted economic advisor. Our vision is to lift living standards for all New Zealanders.
Kōrero mō te tūranga | About the Role
This opportunity is in the Public Finance Policy Team. The team provides advice to the Government on financial management and value for money in the public sector, the longer-term design of the annual Budget process, and fiscal-management tools. The team leads the Treasury's stewardship of the Public Finance Act.
The role involves contributing to both shorter-term and strategic advice in all of the above areas. The focus of the role, however, is on the application, stewardship and potential evolution of the Public Finance Act.
While this is not a position with management responsibilities, as a senior team member you will work with others, both within the team, outside the team and outside Treasury, to upskill their understanding of public-sector financial management.
The position is for a permanent staff member.
Ō pūmanawa | About You
This senior position requires a rare combination of skills. You have in-depth understanding of the Public Finance Act from both operational and policy perspectives. Your understanding of the Act would draw on at least ten years' experience in public finance roles, perhaps at a senior level in a government agency. Ideally you also have experience in legislative change.
You have a proven ability to lead work programmes and influence outcomes. You work well in a team and have experience in raising the financial competence of colleagues.
In particular, you will bring:
- strong intellectual leadership, and comfort with complexity and ambiguity
- a collaborative approach to your work
- the ability to coach and support junior staff
- excellent communication skills, in particular the ability to explain complex issues in an accessible fashion.
- the ability to motivate and influence others
- a strong delivery focus.
Ko ngā hua | What we Offer
- Work in a supportive and high-performing team.
- Excellence is recognised and staff are supported to develop their talents and potential.
- A workplace that values diversity and inclusion.
- Opportunities to engage directly with Ministers and senior officials and to influence the direction of government policy.
- Work/life balance and flexible work-arrangements.
- A range of health and wellbeing initiatives and benefits, including a wellbeing allowance and subsidised medical insurance.
- Five weeks' annual leave for permanent full-time employees (pro-rated for part-time employees).
Tono mai ināianei | Apply Now
For more information please contact Tom Hall (Tom.Hall@treasury.govt.nz). Applications close Friday 2 December 2022. All applications must be made online.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received and may progress with suitable applicants prior to the application closing date.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Principal Advisor 1 - February 2021.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.