Applications Developer at New Zealand Customs Service, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Help protect and promote New Zealand by developing and supporting our passenger and mobile applications
- See the tangible impacts of your creativity and problem solving abilities for travellers and our officers
- On-the-job skills and knowledge development, and support for flexible working arrangements
We need an Applications Developer to support and enhance a range of our bespoke travel-related applications. This permanent role in our Information Services Group is based in Wellington Customhouse. If you're interested and don't live in Wellington, contact us via the details below to see if remote working could be viable. While it would help, you don't have to be a fully experienced developer - if you're got the right potential, we'll train you on the job.
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Every plane and ship entering or leaving New Zealand has to be reported to Customs, along with who is travelling on them. We operate sophisticated systems to process travellers, assess risks, prevent social harm, and capture essential data for government, all while making it fast and easy for lawful travellers. Our travel systems include SmarGate appliances that use facial biometrics to verify the identity of travellers; and associated applications that manage processing of airline and cruise ship passengers, and interactions with our officers.
Our Travel team currently comprises two Product Analysts, five developers (including this role), and a Test Automation Engineer, who report to the Product Manager Travel. We work closely with other teams, groups and agencies, and complement the Travel team with contract personnel depending what projects we have under way.
We ideally need someone…
- Experienced in containerisation such as Kubernetes, Docker, Quarkus
- Familiar with agile development methods.
You might be the right person if…
- You love coding and making things better;
- You learn quickly, like problem-solving and like to ensure a good experience for users and customers;
- You like variety and can work across multiple products and applications;
- You find being presented with a problem interesting and challenging;
- You think about improving the ways a process or a technology could be used and can share your ideas.
If you don't tick all the boxes and would like to know if you should still apply, or need some guidance on the application process, or would like any other information, contact us via the details below.
Note: this role involves providing regular on-call support. This will usually be for one week in four (or less often) and we expect that typically there will be no more than one call-out per week of being on-call.
What we would offer you…
- Interesting and varied work, enabling you to use your creativity and initiative
- A culture of valuing people, including flexible work conditions
- Modern building close to public transport hub and parking
- Free in-house gym access (Wellington)
- Learning and development opportunities and on-the-job support.
For further information see the full position description outlining the duties and person specifications. Want to know a bit more before applying? Feel free to contact Craig Ainsley (Product Manager Travel) at email@example.com or Suzanne Leahy (Senior Recruitment Advisor) at Suzanne.firstname.lastname@example.org.
To join Customs in any role you must be a New Zealand citizen or NZ permanent resident* and be able to obtain and retain Confidential security clearance.
(*) A New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident who has resided continuously in New Zealand for the last 5 years and resides in NZ at time of application;
OR a New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident who has resided in New Zealand for the last 5 years and resides in NZ at time of application, but may have been absent from New Zealand for periods of six or more months within the past five years, preferably in one or more of the following countries: either Australia, Canada, UK or the USA. You will be required to provide overseas police certificates for these periods spent outside of New Zealand.
New Zealand Customs Service | Te Mana Ārai o Aotearoa is a member of Diversity Works New Zealand and is committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities, consider flexible working arrangements and welcome applications from everyone who can meet the requirements of the role.
Please visit our website http://www.customs.govt.nz.to apply on line by submitting a CV and cover letter that demonstrates your ability to meet the competencies required for the role as outlined in the position description along with what attracts you to this position and working within the New Zealand Customs Service.
Applications close 11pm, Wednesday 30 November 2022.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||New Zealand Customs Service|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||IT & computing|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||(FT&I PD) Applications Developer.docx|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.