Policy Manager at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- 12-month fixed term / secondment to cover parental leave
- Interesting and varied policy work
- Wellington based
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do. In our work, we aim to demonstrate these values:
- We put Tamariki first
- We believe Aroha is vital
- We respect the Mana of people
- We are Tika and Pono
- We value Whakapapa
- We recognise that Oranga is a journey
Our purpose is to ensure that all tamariki are in loving whānau and communities where oranga tamariki can be realised. We believe that by getting involved early in their lives and showing love and care, we give children the best chance of growing into happy thriving New Zealanders.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
The Policy Manager will lead a team of 6-8 staff to drive policy change in the areas of housing, reviews into Oranga Tamariki, international conventions and input into adoptions and surrogacy law reform processes. This includes leading cross agency policy work to deliver more joined up housing services for priority populations to Oranga Tamariki under the Oranga Tamariki Action plan. The team's work covers a range of short-, medium- and long-term policy issues, providing an opportunity to input into high profile fast paced initiatives, as well as long term legislative and regulatory shifts.
In performing this role, the Policy Manager will develop and maximise the capability of the staff in their team and the overall capability of the team. The Policy Manager will also have the professional support of Principal Analysts and the General Manager and will be expected to work across the organisation and other relevant departments.
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
Key requirements of the role include:
- An appropriate tertiary qualification or considerable relevant practical experience.
- Experience in developing and managing high performing teams and working on individual development plans
- Experience in producing and recognising high quality policy work and in providing peer support and coaching to others
- Understanding and appreciation of cross-cultural issues and concerns, in particular; knowledge of tikanga Māori, and Pacific peoples' culture
- Demonstrated experience in analysing a complex range of information, and critical thinking to help leadership with informed decision making.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the policy development process, and of parliamentary processes and the workings of legislation - A good understanding of policy implementation and the issues likely to impact on it.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
We are proud to have a negative Gender Pay Gap and offer a remuneration in-line with a framework based on tenure and experience for all staff to minimise wage gaps. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you register or login using your work email address.
If you have any questions about role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: 9 December 2022 - please note we will be organising interviews as strong candidates come through, so may be in touch to arrange an interview prior to the close-off date.
Oranga Tamariki is committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities and welcome applications from everyone who can meet the requirements of the role. We also support flexible working arrangements.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.