Regional Manager Central at Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Waikato
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Discover a career with purpose at MBIE
- Be a leader of Inspectors who are committed to stamping out unlawful employment practices in New Zealand
- Permanent position based in Hamilton
- Salary Range $132,417-$160,472
About the role:
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s (MBIE’s) goal is to create a strong and high performing economy for all. A critical part of that is lifting the quality of our workplaces through a strong foundation of consistent compliance with basic employment standards.
The Labour Inspectorate monitors and enforces New Zealand’s minimum employment standards. We work closely with agencies such as Immigration New Zealand, Inland Revenue and WorkSafe New Zealand to ensure business and the community understand and value the importance of employment standards.
As a Labour Inspectorate Manager, you’ll have the opportunity to use your vision, strategic thinking and influencing abilities to develop a team of inspectors who will deliver credible and consistent assessments and inspections in collaboration with a range of other regulators.
Working with others to ensure broad leadership and necessary training and practice advice to the new team will be crucial in building capability; this requires an individual with vision, passion, strategic capability and strong communication and relationship skills.
In this challenging, but rewarding role in the Labour Inspectorate, you will be working with a diverse range of people and cultures across a wide variety of industry sectors. You will have the power to make decisions and take actions which result in real changes in workplaces and the working lives of New Zealanders.
This role also offers you the opportunity to demonstrate your strong leadership abilities with internal and external stakeholders such as business groups, unions, local authorities, and other key regulatory agencies. To achieve the goal of ‘Fair Workplaces’, a key aspect of this role will be to build business and community support (as well as providing community support).
Skills and experience required:
- Ability to understand, use and explain the Employment Relations & Employment Standards regulatory system, in particular in relation to policy changes and the support of strategy development/implementation.
- Understanding and proven experience within a regulatory compliance role.
- Experienced in understanding and analysing complex information and identify the key issues
- Demonstrated ability to present sound recommendations and make decisions which are legally and technically robust
- Experienced in communication of complex information through written documents
- Ability to work in a demanding and complex environment with statutory timeframes
- A sound understanding of legal processes and systems.
- Ability to communicate complex decisions to the sector
- Successful strategic and operational management experience in a medium to a large organisation
- Proven ability to lead, develop and manage a remote team
- Experience in building teams with strong identity that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Understanding of the implications of and commitment to the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi.
- Championing and implementing the Māori Action Plan (Whainga Amorangi)
- Ability to quickly identify, establish and build strong working relationships.
- Strong ability to coach and mentor others by sharing their own experience and helping to challenge thinking
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunities.
- Must have the legal right to live and work in New Zealand
- Must be able to gain and maintain a Secret-level national security clearance
MBIE's goal is to create a resilient and high-performing economy that delivers real and ongoing quality of life for all New Zealanders.
We do this by working with others to create an environment that supports businesses to be more productive and internationally competitive, enables all New Zealanders to participate in the economy through improved job opportunities and by working to ensure quality housing is more affordable.
People are at the heart of our mahi, our way of working is guided by our values which shape our behaviours.
- Mahi Tahi – Better Together
- Māia – Bold and brave
- Pae Kahurangi – Build our Future
- Pono Me Te Tika – Own It
Our aspirations are echoed in our Māori identity – Hīkina Whakatutuki – which broadly means ‘lifting to make successful'.
MBIE recognises the partnership founded under Te Tiriti o Waitangi between Māori and the Crown and is committed to giving effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. We will do this through enduring, meaningful and effective partnerships with iwi, Māori, other Māori groups/organisations and the Crown, as this is critical to enable economic and social development, both for Māori and for wider Aotearoa New Zealand. We are committed to continuing to partner with iwi in order to find new sustainable solutions to address long standing systemic and cross-cutting issues facing Māori and wider Aotearoa New Zealand and we are also committed to identifying opportunities for iwi to lead and creating an enabling environment for iwi to leverage these opportunities.
E mōhio ana a Hīkina Whakatutuki i puea ake te kōtuinga I waenganui i a ngāi Māori me te Karauna i Te Tiriti o Waitangi, ā, kei te whai ia ki te whakaū ake i Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Mā te whai kiko o ngā kōtuinga ahungaroa o ngāi wi, o ngāi Māori, me ētahi atu rōpū Māori ki te Karauna, katutuki tēnei. He āhuatanga nui tēnei e āhei ai ngā mahi whanaketanga ā-ohanga, ā-pāpori hoki ki a ngāi Māori me Aotearoa whānui. E whai tonu ana mātou ki te kōtui atu ki ngā iwi mō te rapu huarahi hou ki te whakaara i ngā kaupapakua roa nei e tāmi ana i a ngāi Māori me Aotearoa whānui, ā, e whai ana hoki ki te tautohu i ngā āheinga kōkiritanga mā ngā iwi, me te tautoko i ngā iwi kia whai mana ake ai ēnei āheinga.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.