Senior Solicitor at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Hawkes Bay
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Senior Solicitor - Litigation - Napier
About the role | Mō te tūnga
We are looking for an experienced litigation lawyer with excellent legal skills to lead in our dynamic and agile legal team. This role is based in Napier.
Our team supports Oranga Tamariki to achieve the goal of all tamariki being in loving whānau and communities where Oranga Tamariki can be realised.
In this fast-paced, exciting role you will play a key role providing legal advice and advocacy services to social workers and other staff. Your work will involve court time conducting litigation on behalf of Oranga Tamariki, with a focus on ensuring good outcomes for tamariki and their whānau. You will also assist the Regional Litigation Manager to identify, manage and strategize legal risk. You will be excited to provide mentoring to other legal colleagues and enjoy leading training.
Whilst key work occurs outside of the courtroom - advising and collaborating this position does include significant court time. This is a role where your internal and external relationships will enable you to work collectively to make a positive difference for our tamariki.
About us | Mō mātou
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do. In our work, we aim to demonstrate these values:
We put Tamariki first
We believe Aroha is vital
We respect the Mana of people
We are Tika and Pono
We value Whakapapa
We recognise that Oranga is a journey
Our purpose is to ensure that all tamariki are in loving whānau and communities where oranga tamariki can be realised. We believe that by getting involved early in their lives and showing love and care, we give children the best chance of growing into happy thriving New Zealanders.
What you will bring | Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu
- You will have been admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in New Zealand and have (or be eligible for) a practicing certificate
- You are driven by a desire to ensure all tamariki are in loving whānau and communities
- You are committed to helping us honour our treaty commitments to Māori to improve long-term outcomes
- You thrive in a job where no day is the same but each day your mahi matters
- You are committed to continuing your own Te Ao Māori development and cultural competence
- You have a sound understanding of either family or criminal (youth justice) law or have a genuine passion and interest to work in this area
- You have excellent communication, digital and written skills
- Understanding and appreciation of cross-cultural practices in particular; knowledge of tikanga Māori, and Pacific peoples' culture
- You are person with who works with integrity; is honest, transparent and you keep your word
- You enjoy being a part of a team and collaborating with others
- A clean driving licence and ability to use Oranga Tamariki vehicles to travel within region
What's in it for you | Nōu te rourou
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package, that offers progression annually for experience through tenure. Annual remuneration for this position starts between $99k and $125k per annum, dependant on experience. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing.
We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
How to Apply | Me pēhea te tuku tono
Apply online with your CV and Cover Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you register or login using your work email address.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: Wednesday 29 March 2023
Oranga Tamariki is committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities and welcome applications from everyone who can meet the requirements of the role. We also support flexible working arrangements.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Legal & courts|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Senior Solicitor Litigation - Regional - Position Description.PDF|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.