Analyst at Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Discover a career with purpose at MBIE
- Join a dynamic, future-focused, and engaged Science and Innovation Evidence and Insights team.
- Unleash the power of research and insights to support MBIE to achieve its Science and Innovation goals.
- Can you work across MBIE's groups to enable an uplift in our data and insights capability to support policy?
- Salary $71119 - $84187, Permanent, Wellington CBD, wellness benefits and KiwiSaver.
We are looking for an Analyst to contribute to this work. In this role, you will have responsibility for scoping, collecting/extracting, analyzing and presenting data in compelling narratives. You will also have a commitment to innovation and continuous improvement and generating new ideas and ways of doing things. You will be supporting a range of data and research related activities including our bibliometric work programme whilst contributing to the wider science and innovation analysis and research portfolio. You will be enthusiastic with a passion for information, insights and data. You will enjoy working within a team to achieve goals and have a demonstrated ability to manage and plan work to meet deadlines.
Our work programme ranges across science system inputs (people and money) to science outputs (publications) using cutting edge tools and innovative approaches to data analysis including the development and implementation of the New Zealand Research and Information System. We support and influence the policy debate and provide direct advice to Government and information to stakeholders and the public.
About the team: This role reports to the Manager, Science and Innovation in Evidence & Insights, Digital, Data & Insights (DII) Branch. This is a multi-disciplinary team of analysts, researchers, evaluators and data scientists. We apply a range of analytical skills and methodologies to provide high quality evidence and insights on the New Zealand research, science and innovation (RSI) system for Government, MBIE, and a range of external stakeholders. Our work is interesting, topical and has impact.
MBIE supports a wide range of flexible working arrangements. Talk to us about what might work for both you and us.
Skills and Experience Required
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate (several of the following):
- Extensive knowledge of research, evaluation or analytical disciplines.
- A keen appetite for solving complex analytical problems.
- A demonstrable background in the use of specialist data mining and analytics software (R based, Python, SQL or similar) with experience quantifying the benefits of advanced analytics
- The ability to translate complex and technical information into a format that can be easily understood by non-technical staff.
- A customer-focused approach, with the ability to quickly establish and build strong working relationships and to develop trust and credibility with staff and key internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in fostering an open, collaborative environment that encourages quality, innovation, on-going learning and knowledge sharing.
- A proactive, ‘can-do’ attitude with a high level of initiative, sound judgement and discretion.
- Exceptional teamwork and collaborative abilities, and a willingness to share knowledge and expertise with others.
- Highly developed communication and writing skills.
- A tertiary qualification (preferably post-graduate) in science or a related discipline.
MBIE's goal is to create a resilient and high-performing economy that delivers real and ongoing quality of life for all New Zealanders.
We do this by working with others to create an environment that supports businesses to be more productive and internationally competitive, enables all New Zealanders to participate in the economy through improved job opportunities and by working to ensure quality housing is more affordable.
People are at the heart of our mahi, our way of working is guided by our values which shape our behaviours.
- Mahi Tahi – Better Together
- Māia – Bold and brave
- Pae Kahurangi – Build our Future
- Pono Me Te Tika – Own It
Our aspirations are echoed in our Māori identity – Hīkina Whakatutuki – which broadly means ‘lifting to make successful'.
MBIE recognises the partnership founded under Te Tiriti o Waitangi between Māori and the Crown and is committed to giving effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. We will do this through enduring, meaningful and effective partnerships with iwi, Māori, other Māori groups/organisations and the Crown, as this is critical to enable economic and social development, both for Māori and for wider Aotearoa New Zealand. We are committed to continuing to partner with iwi in order to find new sustainable solutions to address long standing systemic and cross-cutting issues facing Māori and wider Aotearoa New Zealand and we are also committed to identifying opportunities for iwi to lead and creating an enabling environment for iwi to leverage these opportunities.
E mōhio ana a Hīkina Whakatutuki i puea ake te kōtuinga I waenganui i a ngāi Māori me te Karauna i Te Tiriti o Waitangi, ā, kei te whai ia ki te whakaū ake i Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Mā te whai kiko o ngā kōtuinga ahungaroa o ngāi wi, o ngāi Māori, me ētahi atu rōpū Māori ki te Karauna, katutuki tēnei. He āhuatanga nui tēnei e āhei ai ngā mahi whanaketanga ā-ohanga, ā-pāpori hoki ki a ngāi Māori me Aotearoa whānui. E whai tonu ana mātou ki te kōtui atu ki ngā iwi mō te rapu huarahi hou ki te whakaara i ngā kaupapakua roa nei e tāmi ana i a ngāi Māori me Aotearoa whānui, ā, e whai ana hoki ki te tautohu i ngā āheinga kōkiritanga mā ngā iwi, me te tautoko i ngā iwi kia whai mana ake ai ēnei āheinga.
Click here to view a position description. All applications must be submitted via our online process and include a Cover Letter and CV outlining your interest and suitability for the role.
Email Jackie Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref MBIE/10613 if you have any further questions.
Applications close on 26th March 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||IT & computing|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.