Manager - Solution Architects at NZ Police, Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
New Zealand Police is working with the community to make New Zealanders be safe and feel safe. With over 13,000 staff, we provide policing services 24 hours a day, every day. We operate by land, sea and air, manage over 860,000 emergency calls a year and are always actively preventing crime and crashes.
We’re working towards specific goals and targets that highlight our intent to work collaboratively with iwi and communities, other government sectors and business partners to deliver ‘Our Business’ and achieve long-term change.
Manager – Solution Architect, it starts with you!
- Based at Police National Headquarters, Wellington
- Grade 21 salary starting from $133,936
- Permanent, full time
- Police Employee
- Nationally Advertised Vacancy
- JR 4484646
About the role
We’re strengthening and expanding our ICT Architecture Practice to ensure we have fit for purpose technology solutions which support our strategic objectives and enable ‘Our Business’. We have an exciting new opportunity for a capable and experienced Manager of our Solutions Architecture team who is energetic and enthusiastic to be a part of our new team.
Reporting to the Manager Enterprise and Solutions Architecture, you will draw on your significant architecture experience to run the Solution Architect team, overseeing the allocation and quality of work from the team while still getting your hands dirty from time to time.
The Manager Solution Architecture is a key role in enabling Police to deliver on its strategic and operational outcomes. It is a major contributor in the creation of technical solution options and high-level designs that meet the business and sector needs and complies with the Government standards, Police’s standards, technology governance, and guidelines.
Key Accountabilities include:
- Manage the ICT Solutions Architecture team assigning assign work to resources and balancing solutions architects workload to efficiently meet demand for their services
- Design and maintain templates for the documentation of technical solution options and high-level designs and ensure that the Solution Architects are trained in the use of these templates and disciplines
- Providing technical expertise in the form of Solution Architecture to assist in the design and implementation of technology solutions that are aligned with Police strategy, operational requirements and citizen expectation
- Maintain a consistent and high standard of architect designs and output by control of the quality of published and presented material.
- Assist the Manager Enterprise & Solutions Architecture with development of strategies and roadmaps
- Lead the solution architecture teams in the definition of product-level solution options and high level designs that comply with Enterprise technology roadmaps
What you’ll bring
Being part of the Police whānau is about being our best to ensure our communities are safe and feel safe. Our Core Competencies provide a shared understanding of the behaviours, leadership and technical competence required for success at each level of Police. Whilst we are looking for skills, knowledge and experience relevant to the role, we also place high importance on your state of mind, the alignment of your values with ours, your ability to contribute to and build high performing teams, and the way that you lead yourself or others.
- Firstly, you will be an experienced Solutions Architect with an interest in leading and developing your people and the practice
- You will be able to work well with a wide range of personalities and have the ability to lead and collaborate with a diverse team.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and high-quality written communication with all levels including business stakeholders, architects, operational staff and vendors.
- You can establish and maintain solution architecture templates and processes
- Be connected into a wide range of technologies to ensure our solutions remain current with industry trends.
- Strong experience with cloud technologies (Iaas/Paas/Saas), such as AWS, Azure, M365
- Ability to create High Level Solution Designs (HLD), ensuring alignment to principles, standards and strategy
- Ability to review HLD’s and Detailed Designs created by other groups, ensuring they are aligned to Police principles, standards and strategy
- Show a good understand and experience with using architecture frameworks and methods such as TOGAF and Archimate
- Experience is using Architecture modelling tools such as Sparx EA
- Experience in incorporating security, recovery, audit, availability, performance and operational monitoring into solution designs, including alignment to NZISM
- A relevant architectural qualification or equivalent experience
- Must reside in the Wellington region, or be willing to relocate
- Be a NZ Permanent Resident or hold a current NZ Residency Class Visa
- Be able to obtain and maintain a high level of security clearance
If you are an internal applicant, you must apply internally through the police system. You must provide an alternative contact email address.
This role is set at Team Leader/Manager level, this means your key purpose is “to lead the activities for Our Business and enable people to deliver them.”
We will ask you questions based on “How we will deliver Our Business – Core Competencies” and the appropriate role level, i.e. Individual Contributor.
For more information on Our Core Competencies, please copy and paste this URL: https://tenone.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/documents/2020-11/Core%20Competencies%20updated%20Nov%202020%20compressed.pdf
These questions will be unique and specific to the role, focusing on the aspects the hiring manager believes are most important for that position at the time.
For more information on Our Values, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/nzp-our-values.pdf
To view the position description for this role please copy and paste this link into a new browser:
Our mission is to prevent crime and harm through exceptional policing. Our vision is to be the safest country. Our purpose is to ensure everybody can be safe and feel safe.
Your wellbeing inside and outside of work is important to us. We’re open to discussing flexible working options that work for both you and the business.
For more information on the above, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
How to apply
Please note: Applications submitted directly through the Government Jobs Website are no longer considered. Please visit our Police Careers page: https://career10.successfactors.com/career?company=nzpolice to apply for this position.
If this position sounds like you, click apply now. You will be required to submit an application form and a CV. Before confirmation of hire, pre-employment checks will be undertaken.
For further information on the application process, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 5:00pm, Thursday, 30th March 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Location:||Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Police & emergency services|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.