Resource Worker at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Manawatu - Wanganui
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Casual Resource Worker
- Palmerston North location
- $23.65 per hour
(As and when required for short or block assignments)
Are you driven to make a difference for tamaiti tāne and their whānau? At Oranga Tamariki we are dedicated to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of everything we do and say. All tamariki and rangatahi deserve to feel safe, have their voices heard and be surrounded by loving whānau. We are on a journey to ensure it happens.
We are seeking a Casual Tamariki & Rangatahi Support Worker to join our pool of Resource Workers at our site based in Palmerston North. You will play an important part in a very rewarding role.
About the role | Mō te tūnga
Ideal candidates for this role are strong, assertive individuals who are driven to making a difference to our tamariki and rangatahi. This role can sometimes see you facing some difficult situations so it's important for us to hire the right candidates who have a calm demeanor, patience when faced with potentially challenging behaviour, and understanding of the needs of tamariki and rangatahi.
The mahi you do will vary depending on the needs at the time, but could include the following:
- Transport tamariki and rangatahi to school, appointments, activities, and respite
- Minding tamariki and rangatahi when they are not with their whānau
- Weekend work and hours outside of core business hours may be required, and travel may on occasion require you to stay overnight.
- Support, mentor and walk alongside our tamariki and rangatahi during their journey with us
- You may assist Social Workers if the need arises
- Supervising tamariki and rangatahi visits at a variety of venues with parents, whānau and/or siblings, and writing observational reports for the social worker.
What you will bring | Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu
- Flexibility to work varying hours during the week and weekends, and to changing priorities
- People skills, patience, and an ability to see past what someone might be struggling with and an empathy for tamariki and rangatahi
- Experience with tamariki and rangatahi who may have complex needs (Behavioural, Trauma, ADHD, Autism, FASD to name a few)
- Exhibit discretion and be able to earn the trust of tamariki, rangatahi, whānau and other staff
- Demonstrate tolerance and understanding
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience, be able to prepare an accurate, understandable, and useable report or incident record to social workers
- Always show a high degree of consistency in behaviour and act as a clear and positive role model, generating confidence and commitment of others through his/her own ethical conduct
- The ability to work in New Zealand, hold a clean current driver's licence
- An understanding and appreciation of cultural issues and concerns in particular, Tikanga Māori & Pacific Island cultures
What's in it for you | Nōu te rourou
We are a small, vibrant, and strong team, and we offer training and professional development so that you can develop and grow. We welcome diversity and we work in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
How to Apply | Me pēhea te tuku tono
If you want to help improve the lives of vulnerable tamariki and rangatahi please apply online with your CV and Cover Letter. If you are an employee of Oranga Tamariki already, please ensure you register or login using your work email address. Only applications made online will be accepted. If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com
Hurry, as applications close 27th March 2023.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Location:||Manawatu - Wanganui|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Resource Worker PD.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.