Kaihangarau Tauanga, Raraunga Matua | Senior Statistical and Data Technician at Statistics NZ, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Senior Statistical and Data Technician | Kaihangarau Tauanga, Raraunga Matua
We're looking for a highly organised, self-motivated person who wants to play a key role in getting information to our customers.
- Support a busy team to deliver high quality statistics
- Bring your keen eye for detail and amazing time management skills
- Flexible by default work, part-time opportunities considered
Mōu | For you
Tatauranga Aotearoa Stats NZ are dedicated to diversity, equity, inclusion, health and wellbeing. We welcome every gender, ethnicity, ability, religion, age and background and encourage people to be their authentic selves.
- Flexible by default, balance life and work commitments
- Develop and grow your career (coaching, training, study support, secondments)
- Contribute to meaningful work that makes a difference to all people in Aotearoa
- 3 extra annual leave days (taken during Christmas office closure), see careers site for other benefits and networks
- City based offices that cater to a variety of working styles and needs, with opportunities to also work from home
Starting salary: $57,846- $67,348 negotiable + superannuation
Mō te tūnga | The role
In this role, you will report to the Manager of the Labour Market team. This team is responsible for the Household Labour Force Survey, which reports on New Zealand's official employment and unemployment rate, as well as data from other government agencies surrounding injury incidence and other social statistics in New Zealand.
As the permanent Senior Statistical and Data Technician, you'll spend a lot of time setting the foundation to produce statistical releases, with existing processes and tools to support a busy analytical team. You'll work with a team of analysts to ensure our suite of data is world-class in quality, statistical design, and appearance. You will use your strong organisational and communication skills to communicate with data providers and ensure the data is fit to be used in our statistical production. This will include editing raw data, ensuring that international classifications are adhered to, and using your ability to build trusted relationships to source data from various agencies.
The ideal applicant will have excellent communication and organisational skills, as well as a keen eye for detail. Your ability to manage several different projects at once and enjoyment of ticking off tasks will help you hit the ground running in this deadline-driven environment.
The role is full-time, however part-time can be considered.
Nōu te rourou | What you bring
We encourage and consider transferable skills and experience gained from outside of work e.g., cultural, community work, sports, volunteering, or a comparable role in a different sector or industry.
We want to see the following in your cover letter and CV any information relating to:
- Why Tatauranga Aotearoa - Stats NZ is the place for you,
- Any experience performing data cleaning and analysis,
- How you've demonstrated or encouraged diversity and inclusion in and/or outside of work.
- Any experience writing and using R, SAS or other programming languages or knowledge of economics is also beneficial.
- Any information about your knowledge and experience, or desire to learn and build knowledge and experience of Te Tiriti, Tikanga, Te Reo and Te Ao Māori, and engagement with Māori.
Please also indicate in your cover letter your location preference (Christchurch or Wellington).
Mō mātou | About Us
As New Zealand's national statistics office, Tatauranga Aotearoa Stats NZ is uniquely positioned to support the decisions that the Government, Māori and Iwi organisations, businesses, NGO's and New Zealanders make every day. Our structure, culture and systems are designed with collaboration and customers in mind - mobilised and working together to realise our ambition: About Aotearoa, for Aotearoa - data that improves lives today and for generations to come.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to apply
We encourage you to be you in your application! We are truly committed to diversity, inclusion and lifting our cultural capability.
Applications can only be accepted when submitted through our Stats Careers Website. If you encounter any issues when submitting your application, or if you have any questions about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: We will be screening applications as we receive them to move swiftly to interview shortly after the advert closes (depending on application numbers this date may change). You may be asked to complete a pre-interview screen via phone or video. Please let us know in your application if we need to make any specific accommodations during our process.
Check out our careers site to find out more about working at Tatauranga Aotearoa Stats NZ.
You must have the right to live and work in Aotearoa New Zealand. Background and various pre-employment checks are part of our recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Senior Statistical and Data Technician - JD-updated.docx|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.