DevSecOps Engineer at New Zealand Customs Service, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- DevSecOps Engineer opportunity (we are open to all levels of skill and experience - initial area of focus will be iOS)
- Help protect and promote New Zealand by developing and supporting amazing applications
- Experience real DevSecOps Engineering where you support what you develop working alongside a highly experienced iOS mentor
- Full-time permanent role based in Wellington.
We are seeking either a Junior, Intermediate or Senior DevSecOps Engineer to join our Information Services Travel team.
At Customs, we have a major initiative underway to modernise the traveller experience and continue to extend digital enablement of our dedicated staff. Our Travel team, where this role resides, creates unique applications for our officers, built and supported completely in-house. Our roadmap is ambitious with immediate and future demand.
The focus for this new role will be on genuine-native iOS applications with an all-Swift codebase in a new DevSecOps model, to which you will be contributing significantly. Later on there will be opportunities to learn other technologies.
This is a permanent role in our Information Services (IS) group based in the Wellington Customhouse.
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Every plane and ship entering or leaving New Zealand must be reported to Customs, along with who is travelling on them. We operate sophisticated systems to process travellers, assess risks, prevent social harm, and capture essential data for government, all while making it fast and easy for lawful travellers. Our travel systems include the SmartGates that use facial biometrics to verify the identity of travellers; and associated applications that manage processing of airline and cruise ship passengers, and interactions with our officers.
Our Travel team currently comprises Product Analysts, DevSecOps Engineers and Test Automation Engineers, as well as contract personnel and vendor specialists, all of whom report to the Product Manager - Travel. The team works closely with other areas within Information Services, key stakeholders across the business, other government agencies, and private organisations. The Travel team, along with two other teams (Trade and Protection) make up the Border Tower within the wider Information Services group.
We ideally need someone who…
- has a real passion for all things iOS and wants to take the next step in their career as a DevSecOps Engineer, initially centred around an iOS-based product in a complex, challenging and ultimately rewarding environment;
- has either a willingness and determination to learn this field, or is looking to hone and perfect their skills, or ready to help us drive our Product and team to the next level;
- with a passion for continuous learning, and the desire and personal drive to keep challenging themselves to grow and deliver valued services for travellers and our border staff;
- is open to being taught and mentored by experienced teammates and will actively seek learning opportunities and take responsibility for their learning;
- is keen to give back, open to sharing their skills and expertise and grow the team and wider community;
- takes ownership for DevSecOps' full lifecycle, ensuring the services that you provide and support deliver real value to your customers;
- with an attention to detail, strong problem solving skills, and able to apply critical analysis;
- ideally has (but not essential):
- recent experience of iOS applications development
- appreciation of DevSecOps practices
- familiarity with Agile and ITIL methodologies.
You might be the right person if you…
- love using your skills to create solutions that make the lives of others better;
- have empathy and the patience and willingness to collaborate with and support others;
- learn quickly, enjoy a challenge and keep the customer at the centre of what you do;
- want to contribute to the growth and development of the team's culture, capability and success.
Note: this role involves providing regular rostered on-call support.
What we would offer you…
- Interesting and varied work, enabling you to use your creativity and initiative;
- Learning and development opportunities and on-the-job support;
- A culture of valuing people, including flexible work conditions;
- Modern building close to public transport hub and parking;
- Free in-house gym access (Wellington).
For further information see the full position description outlining the duties and person specifications. Want to know a bit more before applying? Feel free to contact Darren Hay (Transition Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Suzanne Leahy (Senior Recruitment Advisor) at Suzanne.email@example.com.
To join Customs in any role you must be a New Zealand citizen or NZ permanent resident* and be able to obtain and retain Confidential security clearance.
(*) A New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident who has resided continuously in New Zealand for the last 5 years and resides in NZ at time of application;
OR a New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident who has resided in New Zealand for the last 5 years and resides in NZ at time of application but may have been absent from New Zealand for periods of six or more months within the past five years, preferably in one or more of the following countries: either Australia, Canada, UK or the USA. You will be required to provide overseas police certificates for these periods spent outside of New Zealand.
New Zealand Customs Service | Te Mana Ārai o Aotearoa is a member of Diversity Works New Zealand and is committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities, consider flexible working arrangements and welcome applications from everyone who can meet the requirements of the role.
Please visit our website https://www.customs.govt.nz.to apply online by submitting a CV and cover letter that demonstrates your ability to meet the competencies required for the role as outlined in the position description along with what attracts you to this position and working within the New Zealand Customs Service.
Please note, we do not accept applications sent direct to an email address.
Applications close 11pm, Sunday 11 June 2023.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||New Zealand Customs Service|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||IT & computing|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||JDs (Junior, Intermediate and Senior) for the DevSecOps Engineer role .pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.