Permanent Residential Youth Worker - Te Pae Tawhiti at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Otago
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Permanent, Full Time 40hrs per week
- Te Pae Tawhiti Group Home, Dunedin
- Starting salary $51,972 - $63,334 per annum
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki — Ministry for Children is the Ministry that supports children and young people in New Zealand. Oranga Tamariki has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do and works to advance the wellbeing and positive long-term outcomes of children and young people.
Te Pae Tawhiti is a Supervised Group home based in Dunedin. These homes are places of safety where young people aged between 10 -18 years have the opportunity to address unsafe challenging behaviours and develop life skills. The purpose of this home is to support young people in making good life choices, strengthening whānau relationships, and safe reintegration back into the community.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Residential Youth Worker to lead the programme delivery for the home. This includes overseeing the delivery of programming to support the therapeutic model and facilitating strong relationships with specialist providers, community groups and other stakeholders. In addition, the Residential Youth Worker will work closely with the young people in the home, as part of the structured daily programme.
The position is full time 40 hours per week working 2.30pm - 10.30pm. Working days are 5 days per week which change weekly and include weekend and public holidays on a 3-week rotation.
Mōu | About you
You are a positive role model for others, values-driven, enjoy working collaboratively and are motivated by building strong, open relationships with others. You are committed to leading by example at all times. To be considered, you will need to:
- have previous experience working with tamariki and rangatahi with complex needs, and a passion to help young people realise their full potential
- meet the VCA safety checking and Ministry vetting requirements (police check etc.)
- have a full, clean New Zealand drivers' licence
- have a belief and commitment to ensuring that the paramount element of importance in your work is the safety of and outcomes for tamariki and rangatahi
- be a strong team player and positive role model
- demonstrate initiative and sound judgement, with an ability to 'think on your feet'
- have experience developing rapport with tamariki and rangatahi
- strong communication skills (you will need to write succinct, factual and audience appropriate reports)
- an understanding of interventions and treatment approaches to effect positive behavioural change
- an ability to deliver structured programmes
- maintain a good level of physical fitness
- an interest in sports and fitness, tikanga Maori or music/arts
If you want to be part of a team that is committed to working with young people to help them realise their absolute potential, then we would love to hear from you.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
- Professional training and on-going development opportunities and the chance to put your life experience and skills to use in work that is challenging and rewarding.
- Work with a passionate group of people, dedicated to improving outcomes for children and tamariki in our care.
- Starting salary $51,972 - $63,334 per annum dependant on experience with yearly increases through tenure.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
How to Apply | Me pēhea te tuku tono
Apply online with your CV and cover letter. For reporting and transparency, it is important that all applications are submitted through our careers site, please do not email through applications and/or CVs.
If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee, please register or log in using your Oranga Tamariki e-mail address.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 11th June 2023
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Social, welfare & community|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Residential Youth Worker - Position Description.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.