Library Assistant at Department of Internal Affairs, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Type: Fixed term
Hours: Full time
Business Group: National Library
Branch: Enterprise Partnerships
Salary: $54,141 - $63,582
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Ni hao, Namaste, Salaam, Selam and Hello!
At the Alexander Turnbull Library we hold extensive audiovisual collections. These collections provide a unique record of the activities of New Zealand individuals, whanau, iwi and organisations throughout history.
We have an exciting one-year fixed-term opportunity for an energetic library assistant wanting to develop a wide range of skills in library activities, especially in handling collections and ensuring our collections are discoverable, to join the Alexander Turnbull Library and be part of a major project to digitise and preserve New Zealand's audiovisual documentary heritage. This is a collaborative project with Ngā Taonga Sound and Vision and Archives New Zealand.
As the library assistant, you are a key part of the team helping prepare the library's audiovisual collections for digitisation by ensuring they are safely housed, described and discoverable.
The key elements of this role include:
- Working closely with the Audiovisual Digitisation team to prepare items for digitisation, and ensure the team meets its goals and targets
- Retrieving, rehousing, boxing and re-shelving AV items in scope for digitisation
- Liaising with the Librarian, collection care colleagues and curators to arrange, house and describe unpublished audiovisual collections in accordance with ATL standards and processes
To be successful in the role you will need to:
- have a high standard of fitness and enjoy working on your feet
- have excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- enjoy being part of a team but are also self-motivated
- have the capability to work to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- have good computer skills
- Are studying towards a library or Museum qualification and would like to grow your knowledge of basic library routines or arrangement and description practices.
- Experience with handling or arrangement and description of archival collections or cataloguing, particularly of audiovisual materials would be an advantage.
This one-year fixed term role will help our project meet our weekly target contractually agreed with our digitisation partner, covering a period where we will be managing the incoming and outgoing of some of the biggest weekly digitisation volumes to date.
To be successful in this position you will be team orientated, with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines. A high level of computer literacy is required and you must be physically fit, able to retrieve and return large, awkward and heavy items located in both low and high shelving areas in stores that are environmentally controlled with temperatures ranging from 2 degrees to 15 degrees to suit long term preservation of heritage collections in different formats.
Come and discover genuine job satisfaction by helping us deliver even better services to New Zealand.
The Alexander Turnbull Library is part of the National Library of New Zealand and sits within the Te Haumi Enterprise Partnership branch, the Department's epicentre of information management, culture and heritage.'
To learn more about the diverse, important mahi we do at Te Tari Taiwhenua and see why we're a great place to work,'click here.
We work to make New Zealand better for New Zealanders through our four outcome areas:
- People can easily access the services and information they need
- Iwi, hapū and communities across New Zealand are safe, resilient and thriving
- People's sense of belonging and collective memory builds an inclusive New Zealand
- New Zealand is a well-functioning democracy across central and local government
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We recognise a diverse workforce contributes to better business outcomes. We are committed to creating a workplace where all employees have equal access.
Applications close: 5pm, 5 December 2023
For more information please contact: Cynthia.Wu@dia.govt.nz
Job description: To review the full job description, please click here.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Department of Internal Affairs|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.