Speech Language Therapist at Ministry of Education, Northland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Help shape the future of education in New Zealand
Help shape the future of Education
We work to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes
Our organisation is made up of talented and committed people around Aotearoa, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for our ākonga in our education system.
About this role | Mō tēnei tūranga
We are looking for a Speech Language Therapist to join our team based in the Kaitāia office in Northland. Kaitāia is rich in culture and heritage combining stories of the first settlers, home to five iwi; Ngāti Kuri, Te Rarawa, Te Aupōuri, Ngāti Kahu & Ngāi Takoto; and our Dalmation settlers, each with their own stories intertwining history and special memories and places for each.
Kaitāia is 334 kilometres or approximately a four-and-a-half-hour drive from Auckland. The serene beauty, the peacefulness and our location will leave footprints in your soul. The Far North is the place to come to make memories of your own in our special places.
There are approximately 20 staff based out of this caring and supportive office. We are looking for collaborative team players who place tamariki at the epicentre of their practice. Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whānau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Māori medium settings.
As a Speech Language Therapist, you will play a critical role in our region’s Learning Support by:
- Working to understand the impact of children and young people’s speech and language difficulties in the context of their home, school and community.
- Working closely with parents, caregivers, teachers and other specialists to help them support their children with the development of speech, language and communication skills.
- Building and strengthening the capability of those who are best placed to support learning such as parents, teachers and whānau.
- Providing high quality learning support in line with the practice framework He Pikorua guiding principles and content of the curricula delivered in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Home – He Pikorua (education.govt.nz)
- Working as part of a trans-disciplinary team where a child’s needs are complex.
Salary range: $67,928 - $87,928 per annum + 3% kiwi saver. The successful candidate will be appointed at a salary which reflects individual skills and experience.
For more details about the role, you can view the job description here.
We also offer:
- Flexible working arrangements where everyone feels valued & supported.
- The ability to purchase extra days leave.
- A range of employee network groups.
- An inclusive environment that encourages your personal cultural competency journey.
- Development and learning, including mentorship programmes and internal secondments.
- Wellness initiatives to support your overall health and wellbeing.
About you | Mōhou ake
To be successful, you will need a:
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Speech-Language Therapy, or an equivalent that meets the requirements of the New Zealand Speech-Language Therapists Association.
- In-depth knowledge of theory, research and practice related to speech-language, child and human development and learning and behaviour.
- Ability to translate professional knowledge into practical information.
- Ability to co-ordinate service provision in a multi-agency, trans-disciplinary setting.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with children, young people and their families and teachers across a diverse range of settings.
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tirirti o Waitangi and tangatawhenuatanga.
- Fluency in Te Reo Māori is desirable.
- A full driver licence.
- Overseas applicants need to have their qualifications approved by the New Zealand Speech-language Therapist’s Association Membership » New Zealand Speech-language Therapists' Association (speechtherapy.org.nz)
- Applicants must meet English language requirements in the International English Testing System (IELTS) academic option if the following is applicable:
- The speech-language therapy qualification was completed in a language other than English or
- If English is a second language. A score of seven or above in all four modules, with no scores lower than seven is required.
- Applicants must have a valid New Zealand work visa or be working toward obtaining one.
- Overseas applicants must indicate their intention to move to and live in New Zealand in their cover letter.
About our group and team | Mātau rōpū ake
Learning Support is a critical part of the Te Mahau | Te Tai Raro (North) Group within the Ministry of Education. We ensure that children and young people with additional learning needs are supported to achieve their full potential through education. Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whānau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Māori medium settings and other agencies to help maximise learning outcomes and promote social inclusion.
To learn more about Learning Support, the roles we offer, frequently asked questions, and more, click here.
Are you ready to make a difference? | Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi?
If this opportunity interests you, please submit your cover letter and resume by using the ‘apply' button. In your cover letter we’d like to know about you, your values, or anything else you’d like to share. We’re keen to understand your motivations, strengths, transferable skills, and the diverse perspectives you will bring to the role.
For further information, please contact Debbie Costello, Service Manager at Debbie.Costello@education.govt.nz.
Applications close Midnight – Wednesday 27 March 2024.
We want our people to feel valued for their unique qualities and have a sense of belonging. If you require assistance or adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process, please let us know.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Ministry of Education
|Ongoing - Full Time
|No File Attached
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.